Truth be told, with the changes to Facebook’s algorithm, brands and marketers are facing a major challenge to revitalize their companies’ presence on the network.
Although I just named Facebook’s algorithm change, these changes also apply to the other social networks that your audience is a part of.
The fact is, today, with every brand vying for the consumer’s attention, if you want to engage your audience, posts full of text just don’t cut it. Your best bet is to use Social Video Marketing or video marketing on social networks.
What is Social Video Marketing?
As the name suggests, Social Video Marketing refers to video content created to be shared through social media. The goal behind any social media video marketing action is usually the same: to encourage audiences to engage with your brand and/or products and to be remembered.
The strategy can be used for a variety of reasons, such as promoting a product, telling the company’s story, presenting a service, showing behind the scenes, and more.
The power of video, as we’ve mentioned on other occasions, lays in the fact that it is a highly visual medium that allows you to convey a message through engaging images and sounds. Also, when socially shared, videos have high engagement rates and, it can influence the purchase decision.
Video Marketing styles on social networks
There are several types of videos that companies can publish on social networks, among them, we have:
- About us: This type of video is a great way to bring your audience closer to your company and brand. It’s the opportunity to share what your organization does, but especially why. “About us” videos tell the story of the business, show the people behind the operations (this is important to connect your consumers to your brand), highlight the organizational values and show what makes sets your company apart from your competitors.
- Customer Testimonials: These videos feature quotes from satisfied customers or even highlight a customer’s story and how your company’s product/service helped them solve a challenge they were having. It’s the kind of video on social networks that attracts a lot of attention.
- Product videos: Instead of just describing, show it. So don’t waste your time telling the public that your product is great. Instead, create a video demonstrating what it does and why it will improve your consumer’s life. Want to see what I mean? Here are a few product video cases.
- Promotional videos: The goal of these videos is to tell your consumers about a special sale or special promotional event on your products and/or services.
- How-to (or instructional) videos: In this type of social media video the company can show how a product should be used. This is a great strategy for you to use to show special characteristics and product ease of use.
- Events: Here you can take advantage of live videos or create a short video showing what your company will show at a particular event.
- Animated or Explainer videos: Use digital characters and objects to tell a story or describe your service or your products.
A few tips
Videos and social media are a perfect match. To make the most of the Social Video Marketing strategy, just make sure:
- Define your target audience, the social network they use and the style
- Adjust the videos according to the platform (each social platform has a specific audience and language. Animoto Blog has a great infographic with the type of content most indicated for each social network)
- Bring your audience closer to “the real thing” by using photorealistic 3D videos
- Create content that connects with your audience
- Impress in the first few seconds
- Don’t create long videos
- Optimize your video (make sure your video title, meta description, and description have keywords)
- Don’t create heavy videos
- Watch your video without music and see if it’s still impactful (keep in mind that many people will watch the video in public places and may turn the volume down or mute it
- Put subtitles when there is narration (in addition to being useful for those watching it with the volume off, you’ll also include and be able to reach the hearing impaired);
- Tell an interesting story
- Add a CTA (call-to-action) at the end, for example, invite the audience to visit your site
- Encourage people to share the video by including social sharing buttons.
Social video is a type of video designed to be promoted and shared on social media. Therefore, a social media video marketing strategy is not intended to go viral, but must fundamentally be shareable.
Want to know more about video marketing and how your company can apply the strategy? Reach out to us!
‘Till next time!